Master Stylists and Colorists
Few people know where the origin of master stylist or colorist came from since the history of our industry is vast. Vidal Sassoon was the first “influencer” who was an iconic master stylist. He owned high end salons around the world and believed the foundation of all hair style is achieved through a haircut, so haircutting should be prioritized. We agree. You can’t blend extensions, compliment color, or keep hair healthy, without good cutting skills.
Beauty schools focus on basics for graduates to pass a State Board test that is decades old. Most modern master stylists don’t do many of the services on that test because our industry is trend driven. This is why beauty schools encourage graduates to seek salons that offer mentor programs. Few salons do, so over time quality has decreased. If you’ve left a salon thinking it was a good visit because you didn’t hate your hair, that’s a prime example of a decline of quality due to lack of real master stylists in our industry.
Master Stylists are Mentors
Before social media, booth rental, and chain salons, stylists developed skill from salon mentors. A good stylist can make a customer satisfied, but an exceptional stylist is educated in biology, anatomy and chemistry. These are the sciences of hair and separate the good stylists from the great ones, and those are master stylists.
Studio 39 owner was mentored by a salon owner and master stylist who was a leader in the salon world. That type of mentoring continues here because it cultivates skill early. Guests see it in how our team explains how to obtain your hair goals. Good communication & salon skills are best learned from a real Master Stylists.
“Only one who devotes all to a cause with their whole soul and strength can be a true master.”
- Salon Associate: Assists stylists and available for light services like color refresh & blow dry styles.
- Associate Stylist: Completed associate program and is available for associate services.
- Advanced Stylist: 3+ years here and has completed advanced training.
- Senior Stylists: 3-4 years here with multiple specialty skill, a salon Mentor and part of leadership team.
- Master Stylists: 5+ years here mastering multiple focus skills and core leadership.
Meet The Studio 39 Stylists